July 9, 2013 / KingsIsle Entertainment

Spotlight on an Employee’s Wizard

Howdy fellow Wizards!  I’m Gary Scott Smith, but you may know me in game as Duncan DayDreamer. On the forums I post as Arthur Wethersfield. I’m a game programmer that’s been working on Wizard101 for almost 5 years. I first started with player housing.  Then I did mannequins, pets and mounts in housing, the maze game, gardening, housing games, wands on walls, housing music players, housing signs, housing teleporters, the Bric-a-Brac  Elixir, the Additional Castle Elixir, buy more and sell more, spectator mode, playable musical instruments… and lots of other things!

I have a Wizard101 character that I’ve been playing since launch. As of this post, I’m level 81 and near the beginning of Azteca. My character’s primary school is Storm. With Storm, all fights are over quickly, one way or the other. I also have a level 51 character in Pirate101.

My focus at work is player housing, and other than questing, that’s my main aspect of playing Wizard101 as well.  Since we added the Additional Castle Elixir I have been able to buy, acquire, or craft every house in the game – 32 at the moment!  I’ve decorated most of them too.

gary-house1

For this blog post, I wanted to share my favorite house. Yes, I know that there are bigger and fancier houses… but I’ve always liked the Wooded Cottage. I enjoy the Wizard City sky in the background and the cottage’s cozy interior.

By the way, did you know that the unicorn that periodically appears in the grove was added before you could put pets in your houses? Now if you want, you can fill the house with unicorn pets and the unicorn that lives in the grove isn’t really necessary, but we’d never remove it!

gary-house2

I crafted the carousel at this house before gardening existed and farming Wintertusk made Black Pearls and Earthquake treasure cards easier to acquire. I sure spent a lot of time gathering Black Lotus in MooShu so I could craft that carousel!

gary-house3

I think it’s important for developers to play the games they work on, both to be familiar with the content and to thoroughly understand what works well and what doesn’t. For example, I implemented “buy more” and “sell more” features after slowly buying and selling reagents one by one… over and over! It made me wish there was a better way. I recently alphabetized the crafting recipes in our crafted recipe lists after hunting for one randomly listed recipe one too many times. For similar reasons, I like to know what players are saying about Wizard101. I read lots of blog posts; I scan our forums, the Wizard101Central forums and I listen to Ravenwood Radio.

The future is full of exciting things! See you in the spiral.

Gary Scott Smith
Senior Software Engineer II

1. Anonymous / Jul 12 2013 10:18 am

Hi Gary my wizard101 carector is Luke Ravenflame & my wizard’s level is 36. Any chance you could give me some tips about the game? Please reply back. Luke Ravenflame.

• samuel / Jul 16 2013 4:40 pm

gary would you like to meet with me on wizard101 my name is cody shadow sword level 90 life wizard

• peppin / Jul 17 2013 8:40 pm

i have a level 84 ? wizard

• Anonymous / Jul 19 2013 12:12 pm

your on level 90?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! O. o

2. logan / Jul 12 2013 2:48 pm

hey i would like to find out what school i am because i like all of them and i got confused on which school is my main character please help!

• Anonymous / Jul 12 2013 3:55 pm

Press C and you will see by your name or press P and see which spells you have the most of

• vince jr Alvarez / Jul 13 2013 5:55 pm

but i wanted to find out my main character I: i know how to find out what character i am on though. If you cant help then that is fine, thank you for the reply anyway!

• Anonymous / Jul 17 2013 9:44 am

logan right beside your name you will see a sign of what school you are

3. Andrew / Jul 16 2013 9:54 am

my wizard is Andrew firefriend level 83 I have an awesome house you should see it it may give you new ideas my houses are linked so you can get ideas in two very full landscapes using teleports. I don’t under stand why fire can not hurt ice in the game and why with 50 resist on my storm I get more damage dealt to me then others that have 32 resist this does not make sense to me

• Andrew / Jul 16 2013 9:59 am

P.S. I am 53 years old and play every day and you are welcome tom friend my wizard I will offer feed back any time , anything to make the game better for all

4. alaura / Jul 16 2013 2:01 pm

could you friend me gary i’m savannah level 23 I have so many houses 3 right now i’m getting dessert villa today I have sun palace island getaway and royal playhouse

5. southerngalnc1 / Jul 16 2013 2:26 pm

Hi my game name is I’m Ashley DaisyHeart. at level 71. I could make a suggestions in improving the game. Nightmare should shoot fire out of their eyes when casting a spell. Have the pet have a horn coming out of the head that sparks fire. They should have a ghostly sound. Doors in housing should open and close. We should be able to sit and lay down on the bed. Each level in clothing, wands, shoes and etec should be better than the last level. If i have any other ideas I’ll let you know. I’ll see you in the game.
    I’m hoping to go back to school this fall, I want to take web design.

• sydneymoonstone / Jul 19 2013 11:06 am

I like the idea of being able to sit and lay down! Lay on beds and sit where ever we want! I play other mmorps and they all allow you to sit. Thanks

6. Anonymous / Jul 16 2013 10:53 pm

Um hi sorry to bug but my level 89 fire isnt getting the spell to enchant my blades or traps. Can you help, Alex boomsmith

7. haley askey / Jul 17 2013 9:09 am

my username is Ninakittens and I need some help. I have finished all quests that are available to non members and I want a way to level up without a pet and I want more training points and a way to get to haunted cave firecat alley and Cyclops lane and others plus ways to earn crowns.

8. Anonymous / Jul 17 2013 11:57 am

i love you all wizard101 and pirate101 I love you

9. Anonymous / Jul 17 2013 6:15 pm

hey plz friend me im lvl 66 fire i have wisteria villa dragon house and royal estle

10. Caleb / Jul 18 2013 1:43 am

Hey my character on Wizard101 is Caleb Goldshard I am a level 24 Pyromancer and I want to know a couple of tips and hints in combat

11. d425 / Jul 18 2013 7:49 am

alex boomsmith there maybe a reason why u’re not getting the sharpen blade spell because u probably didn’t finish the zf quest in drumjungle u have to get the quest from the monkey i forgot the name but i think it has light in it or something.

12. d425 / Jul 18 2013 7:52 am

btw i have 2 lvl 90 wizards 2 lvl62 and 1lvl76 death so u might wanna check out wt i said cause i know allot about w101 been playing for a while but for some reason my live w101 is not working for some reason only w101 test works, is there is a way can u please help me mr.Gary?

13. Anonymous / Jul 18 2013 1:36 pm

HI, you have done some cool stuff, but I want to know why the epic bundle was taken out of cycle, I like to buy bundles twice and I sold the gear for it and when I was rdy to buy a second time it was retired, and I want the gear so, all I really want is to know why it was taken out it was by far the coolest bundle!!!! Thx. Chris SoulCatcher

14. lauren / Jul 19 2013 11:12 am

Hi i’m Lauren level 20, i’m wondering if anyone knows where waterworks is?

• Andrew / Jul 19 2013 12:27 pm

it is located in crab ally witch has access off of triton ave.

15. Cece (Molly BlueDreamer) / Jul 22 2013 2:41 pm

lol I like the fairground I played wizard101 for 6 years or more I forget but I quit for a year so its like 6 or 7

16. Anonymous / Jul 23 2013 4:43 pm

Dear Gary Scott Smith/Duncan Daydreamer/Arthur Wethersfield,
    I reading this and thought this was very interesting. I know that you are busy but I am sure that I along with many other wizards of wizard city would enjoy if you did more of these.

Also, because my membership retired a while ago, I can no longer post on the message board in wizard101.com. Despite this, I am fully aware as a company, you need profits. One thing I would like to see is a school party. You could do it for the month when you guys first started wizard101 to calibrate. I now this would be a lot of work but I know if you do it right, it would be the month that everyone would get there membership. I know this would be a lot of extra work but every year you could place the festival into different alleys and courts every year. One year you could do unicorn lane and the next Firecat ally. You could rotate them every so often as well.

I know this is a lot to ask but a week before the party you could announce where it would be located and have school-themed quests. You could have life wizards set up plants to make it livelier, you could have fire wizards get some lamps and candles along with cooking, you could have myth wizards find some missing paintings to put up. (Because they are so creative) this idea would be a lot of work but it could have so much potential.

Just wanted to add, thanks for spending your time to listen to my voice among the millions you could pick from. I know it is a long shot but it is worth taking in my mind.

Once again, don’t yell at me for not putting this in the wizard101 dorms page. The reason why this is here is because I am no longer a member and spent all my money on a friend of mine with leukemia. I thought that was much more important. Hope you consider this idea on putting it in the main game.

Ashley Lifeheart
    Level 36
    Magus Theurgist

17. Anonymous / Aug 1 2013 3:33 pm

ok so i had this idea of adding a sewer and there are 2 paths one of them leads you to the realm of pirates where you have to fight gandry then deacon

18. Anonymous / Aug 1 2013 3:35 pm

Ok so i am Tasha stormmask. Can you increase how many friends you can have Gary?? I would be very greatful!!

19. Mackenzie / Aug 13 2013 5:02 pm

Hi. I would really be happy if you could allow us to sit on furniture because i had tons of furniture and it would be cool if I could actually sit on it. And lay on beds. That would be awesome! Please reply. Thank you for taking the patience and time reading this Gary. 🙂

20. JacobDragonStone / Nov 26 2013 8:43 pm

Why not for the next Update you make the pet pavilion bigger and add more games to fill it because it take forever to train my pets with what the pavilion has now if you do this it would be awesome, thanks.

21. tumblr.com / Jan 17 2014 3:14 pm

I think this is among the most important info for me. And i’m glad reading your article.
    But should remark on few general things, The
    site style is perfect, the articles is really nice :
    D. Good job, cheers

22. JacobDragonStone / Mar 17 2014 9:19 pm

i have a idea for the next update put more areas in the library in the commons and put Quest that require a player to go in the new areas

Trackbacks