February 5, 2014 / KingsIsle Entertainment

Don’t Fear the Pirate

Did you know that Blue Oyster Cult lead singer Eric Bloom is a gamer, and not only that… a KingsIsle gamer?  There’s even two quests in Wizard101 that are given by his NPC Snorri Oysterbloom,“Sitting Bear” and “Fall Tree Bower.” Eric also enjoys playing Pirate101 with his Witchdoctor character, Grumpy Eric.  Check out his favorite Pirate101 game play tips!

Good day to all players and fans of Pirate101!   As a player of Wizard101 I was pleased when Pirate101 was announced and released.  I usually play a caster in Wizard101 when I have a chance so I created a Pirate101 Witchdoctor, Grumpy Eric.  Grumpy Eric is now level 65 and finished with the game (for now).  I also have a couple of alt characters, because I like to explore different ways of playing.

When I first started Pirate101, I did a little bit of reading in the forums but I’d rather play than read up so I usually just jump in the game and learn as I go.  It doesn’t take long to figure out who the better companions are.  Although you don’t get him for a while, I found El Toro indispensable, mostly for his buff.  I set up my powers ‘deck’ with the Witchdoctor “JuJu” cards up first to get that buff as fast as possible.  With El Toro’s buff and the one of the Juju buffs locked in, I then start the fight.

dont-fear-pirate2

I hold off on area attacks until I have at least three opponents in the attack area.  If it’s an easy fight, I disregard that first rule.  My favorite companions towards the end of the game were Bonnie Anne (she’s always good) and Kan Po (equally as good).  I scored Lemba Moonskull in one of the packs.  He’s a good shot.  Zeena and Ebon Moon would round out my better teammates, although there are plenty more depending on the fight.  Towards the end of the game, you might benefit by putting your pet away and getting out and training up your shooters like Dan Drake, Rooster Cogburn and Lefty.

Use your bank for storage whenever possible and coordinate bank visits with your need to get back to Skull Island for other reasons.  I tend to carry too much stuff, my biggest failing as a gamer, so the ability to off-load at the bank is a necessity.

Now that the game has the bazaar on Skull Island, it’s much easier to get decent gear, selling off what you can’t use for better items.

For training, I concentrated on “Will” since I’m a Witchdoctor and also on “Dodge”, but you can train many different ways to customize your gaming experience.  Don’t forget to use your practice points to cross-train in other abilities than your main skills.  Also, keep your best companions trained up as high as you can afford by buying training points at the taverns.

dont-fear-pirate1

I like the broadside combat battles too.  You’ll receive new ships on occasion as you age in the game, but perhaps buy an upgrade as you can get better ships.  Ship gear is important as well if you want to succeed at sea.  You might have to grind some Skyway battles to get to the higher levels of broadside combat, but it’s worth it!  Besides, that’s the cheapest way to get better gear; you win it instead of buying it.

Good luck out there!

Eric Bloom

1. Anonymous / Feb 5 2014 12:16 pm

Awesome that you play pirates ! I remember going to your live concerts. Hope you enjoy the game when the new updates come out pretty soon. Enjoyed your blog 🙂

2. Anonymous / Feb 5 2014 12:36 pm

Thanks so much for sharing, Eric! I sometimes feel awkward as an adult player, since most of my family doesn’t understand the appeal. So it’s nice to hear from a successful adult that it’s “okay” to have fun in this manner! I can’t sail a real boat anymore — it’s been decades since I sailed so I’d be sure to capsize if I took one out now. But it’s very relaxing to sail the skyways in P101!

3. Anonymous / Feb 5 2014 12:41 pm

Nice!

4. Anonymous / Feb 5 2014 3:01 pm

Glad to hear some useful tips for this game. It can sometimes be hard and sometimes be easy, but once you get all your good companion promoted your fine.

5. Anonymous / Feb 5 2014 5:21 pm

which character that you get at the tavern is the strongest

• Anonymous / Feb 6 2014 10:48 am

the strongest is sarah steel and dog pirate and the pirate cat

6. Anonymous / Feb 5 2014 8:14 pm

It was awesome an adult plays this game cause I thought it would be weird playing this game when im an adult now I know that’s not true [-;

7. Anonymous / Feb 6 2014 8:50 am

Good to see another(young) old-timer play this game! lolol Get alot of youngsters, but as you get to know people. I find out ages, and how i need to be able to talk to them, ya know?. Glad to see ya play, I also play Wiz101 on occasion. My main is death/life/balance user. :p bro!

8. Anonymous / Feb 6 2014 9:40 am

wtg eric, im a grandmother and i play with a retired friend in OK. we play everyday and i have 4 toons level 65. and you are right about to much stuff in the bank, my same problem, lol hope to see you on the seas.

9. Anonymous / Feb 6 2014 10:09 am

Nice! Happy to see persons like you playing a wonderful game like these. Keep the good work up!

10. Zia / Feb 6 2014 10:13 am

Happy to see some nice persons like you playing the game! Keep the Good work up.

11. Anonymous / Feb 7 2014 8:14 am

Sweet! I’m a 65 witchdoctor myself. Hope to see you around. Wow didn’t know a lot of adults play also. I’m an adult, my daughter and I plays wizard101 sometimes. Cant wait till she play pirate101. If anyone sees me online add me Christina dove is 65…the others are low lvls. Good Day 🙂

12. Evan Silver / Feb 7 2014 4:24 pm

That’s cool! It’s also funny that in W101 the MooShu Zeke quest is called Blue Oyster Cult!

13. Smart Rebecca Noble / Feb 7 2014 8:32 pm

I love this game although I’m only level 16, the story line with the Armada and Marco Pollo’s map is quite cool the fact that it has so many references with history. My favorite pun on it so far is the Hidden Valley Ranch in Cool Ranch 😛

14. Nimble Nora Nightingale / Feb 8 2014 10:23 am

i hope you make more eric! 🙂 -nora

15. Sly Nicholas Nesbit / Feb 8 2014 9:42 pm

Witchdoctors are popular. Im lvl 51 and im only on temple of the north wind can anyone friend me i need help.

16. patricia hammond / Feb 9 2014 8:01 am

I’m an adult too. it’s awesome that their are other adult that play too. I train all my companion so when any companion that comes in to a battle wont die so soon. Here is a tip. whatever companion you got in the magnificent seven ( like your would be batmasterson) when they reach level 65 in Aquila they get a promotion. If I hadn’t trained all my companion I wouldn’t have known this. I also have two pirates girl that has reached level 65 and maxed out their ship in Aquila and waiting for the game to start again. I noticed that some people don’t do the side quest, just the main and they wont be as strong and might miss out getting other companions. Just saying. Have fun on the game and who know I might see you around. 🙂

• Sly Nicholas Nesbit / Feb 10 2014 9:15 pm

Bat Masterson gets a promotion? Awesome. Where do you get cat ninja. The side quest is not there. I looked at the green guy on the right when you enter the subats temple but it isn’t there.

17. orlando / Feb 9 2014 11:56 pm

I prefer privateer cause of all the power ups and I easily pone witchdoctors you may think i’m unexperienced due to my age but I’ve lost to 2 or 3 players in pvp and I’ve played many games

18. serina / Feb 10 2014 8:37 pm

they should do this more often.

19. Mary Cervantes / Feb 11 2014 3:47 pm

Thanks for the tips. My lvl 65 is also a witch doctor, Bloody Belle Bristol. Long live juju! BTW, love your music!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. house of Dreamsong xD / Feb 17 2014 7:35 am

I didn’t know that so many adults played Wiz101.

Miranda & Brandon Dreamsong

21. Silver Faith Moone / Mar 8 2014 6:59 pm

This is awesome that you play, I don’t know why but I think I’m more of a weapon-type-gal in Pirate, love your music! -Silver Faith Moone

22. Anonymous / Jan 23 2015 6:40 am

My husband and I play this game and we love it. We both have 65 level characters and are now starting new ones. We still get a huge kick out of all the pop. culture references and hope that as kingsIsle expands the game that they will continue with these “flashes from the past”. Smartly done!