March 12, 2014 / KingsIsle Entertainment

Behind the Scenes Look : The Making of Promotions

One of the great things about working in the marketing department for a gaming studio is coming up with new ways to promote really awesome items that our creative teams have brought to life! Not a lot of people can say that they brainstorm sales centered on panther mounts, piggles, and swashbuckling companions in Pirate crews. While one may think it is all fun and games around here, there is actually a lot of time and effort spent to come up with marketing promotions for our players.

We take a few things into consideration when creating promotions including player feedback, sales data, and past performance.

Pirate 2014-01-15 15-53-27-37

Player feedback is one of the most important things we take into account when coming up with promotional ideas and reviewing past promotions. We read up on our forums, fan sites, and other locations to get a sense of what our players want, like, and dislike in game. Once we collect that feedback we brainstorm what types of promotions our players would enjoy most. This goes hand in hand with reviewing past performance of a promotion like one of our Paloozas. We see what players liked about it, what they didn’t like about it, and what they wished would have happened.  We then take that feedback into account for future promotions.

Another important aspect that we consider is current sales for particular items.  For example with Pet-a-Palooza in Wizard101, we look at what pets are most popular and least popular in sales volume and try to figure out why. Is it the price? Is it the look of the pet or its pedigree? Does this pet have a spell card or not? From there we assign different discounts based on our analysis which hopefully will get our players excited and want to collect more pets. We also like to include other items that help out pets and not just pets themselves!

WizardGraphicalClient 2012-07-10 11-03-49-72

Once we have decided on the promotion and discounts, we need to come up with a promotion name. Naming promotions are fun and can be silly at times, but we definitely try to make sure they are not cheesy!   For example the Bag O’ Gold Sale in Pirate101 is a play on Pot O’ Gold during the St. Patrick’s holiday and is more fun than calling it a Gold Sale.

Along with a promotion name, we also need a page created to help promote the sale and give our players more information about what’s cool and new that is going on. We make sure that the screenshots or renders help support the sale and show off some of the great items that you can get. On the day of the sale, we make sure that the promotion is correct in the Crown Shop and everything is good to go!

After the promotion has ended, we look at player feedback to see what they liked, didn’t like, or if they were interested in it at all. Then we look at the sales performance to see if it’s worth running the promotion again or if we should come up with something new.

Hopefully this shed some light behind the scenes on how we come up with promotions here at KingsIsle! Keep posting and letting us know what you think of promotions we run and what else you would like to see going forward! We’ve always got our eye out looking for feedback.

Natalie Akilian
Associate Product Marketing Manager

1. Kelsey Fireheart (@KelseyFireheart) / Mar 12 2014 11:27 am

I know I liked the 50% off on the online bundles! That was the best promotion so far. Thanks for all of the hard work that you do!

• Fair Ashley Holystone / Mar 12 2014 12:44 pm

I second that, Kelsey 😀

• Justin SkullSpear / Mar 13 2014 6:42 pm

I love this game and it is my Addiction I just want to thank everybody for making this possible

• KW64 / Mar 14 2014 5:44 am

Thirded!

2. SavannahSparklebreeze / Mar 12 2014 3:08 pm

i love wizard101 and the 50% off bundles that day it was great!

• wolfshadowcaster / Mar 13 2014 12:53 pm

same her savannah sparklebrezze

• Tiffany OwlCrafter / Mar 13 2014 3:40 pm

I also enjoyed the 50% off bundles thats how i got a membership for only $15 dollars! Like omg. Thanks wizard101!!!

3. Madison Walker / Mar 12 2014 9:01 pm

The discounts on the Mastery amulets was really helpful. I also hope they implement guild here, with guild castle and dungeons.

• Anonymous / Mar 13 2014 9:45 pm

Ya I got the Life Mastery Amulet, I love it and is really helpful on my storm for frequent healing.

4. Robin Morgan / Mar 13 2014 9:27 am

Some of your promotions might go over better if given some advance notice that it is happening. That way us older players know to put aside a tad from our pay checks and younger parents can put aside a bit for their kids or once again us retired folks will know when we get our SS checks that they, their kids or grandkids and I suppose some great grand kids will have time to needle whomever to get the money from them to be able to get what they want. I know personally I would love to know in advance about a bundle that was 50% off. While I am making a comment, STOP with the pagodas and winterbane things, goodness, I am sick to death of constantly being asked to do them.

• Anonymous / Mar 13 2014 3:14 pm

yes tank you I agree 100% 🙂 roben

• applebottomjeans / Mar 13 2014 4:12 pm

this is honestly the most wonderful response i’ve ever read. amen roben. amen

• Taylor DeathHaven / Mar 13 2014 5:57 pm

i think that if theyasked just tell them to go to the tour place and look for pagoda and winterbane
      at the home there thats what i do

• Anonymous / Mar 13 2014 6:43 pm

yup 😛

• Anonymous / Mar 14 2014 12:16 am

i know right

5. Adam / Mar 13 2014 9:30 am

ya the mastery amulets are cool and everything but i like the pets

6. Justin / Mar 13 2014 10:17 am

Hoodoo Bundle & Hive Bundle (& new world of Khrysails (I love Shadow Magic Spell because Helpful for Ice Wizard allot (Storm get Annoying in PVP & PVE because to much talent) xD

least happy (Kingsisle fix people mistake on game)didn’t meant to happen (happy got Hoodoo Bundle Back (when first time I made mistake put Hoodoo Bundle code in Wrong Account) xD

I HAPPY THAT I Made own Fansite Website of Pirate101 & Wizard101 (working on very hard on it) see mine website just click mine name! 🙂

7. Patricia Crss / Mar 13 2014 10:50 am

I have several ideas for Wizard 101.

8. Anonymous / Mar 13 2014 11:00 am

Maybe you should lower the price for buying gold with crowns, just because it seems unfair that you paid so much money and it equals up to 13000 gold, even though you bought 25000 crowns

• Anonymous_2 / Mar 13 2014 6:28 pm

actually, I’d really enjoy the game if for every 1000 gold you had, you could buy 1, YES ONE, crown. it would make players really happy, and, you would also get more players. there is only one con, people could get membership though just plain battling.

9. Anonymous / Mar 13 2014 11:16 am

awesome

10. Anonymous / Mar 13 2014 11:18 am

An idea? LOWER MOUNT PRICES! one of my favorite promotions so far was the crown sale on mounts! i only get the 5000 crown bundle each time, so it would be REALLY useful to be able to buy a mount (preferably a panther xD), and have some extra crowns for areas. thanks for considering this comment!

• Anonymous_2 / Mar 13 2014 6:38 pm

I second that!

• Anonymous / Mar 14 2014 12:20 am

yeah your right

11. pleaser / Mar 13 2014 11:31 am

it’s be cool tto you can buy packs with gold and to you can buy crowns with your mobile phone

• Justin / Mar 13 2014 11:17 pm

@Anonymous

Save you crown when buy crown (Buy Crown) ask mom & dad to share Inky Tax Money with you! save mine crown coin everything time when Kingsisle has Crown Coin Sale xD buff it more so, never run out of Crown xD lol (enough for Khrysails Part 2 come out) Kingsisle make more mount in crown shop lot people save crown more when new world come after Test Realms!

that want I mostly do when try save crown after new world test realms (never know might be possible a new mount) 🙂

know how much I have: 157,626

BEEN using some on pirate101 🙂 so, finish up Aquila >.<

Saving Crown (best idea) Move you save (Lot of Good Stuff) 🙂 (also useful save crown when new hoard pack come out or sale pack 🙂 like mega pet snack sale 🙂

12. Anonymous / Mar 13 2014 11:32 am

i have so much ideas for wizar101 too like get 50% off bundles when it is the day before Christmas.

• Anonymous / Mar 13 2014 3:49 pm

they did that lol

13. Anonymous / Mar 13 2014 11:35 am

lol

14. Scott / Mar 13 2014 11:49 am

I have to say that I have had many ideas flow through my mind about this game. I have been playing it for almost 3 years and will probably play it till something happens and it is no longer available but I can’t see that happening in the future. I have thought long and hard about a few options you could add that would make this game a little more easier on making new characters and such. I think there should be an option to change the looks of your wizard after creating it, I think sometimes people want to change their hair style or eyes or even their face after they have first created a character. There should also I think a house bank. Now this bank would only be for those that purchase a gift card and have a house on a character and they are wanting to recreate a new character if they run out of room to add anymore. I know you would want people to keep buying the gift cards for the houses but that is where you would create more to add to what already exists. I think it would be a great promotion offer if you were to create more houses, even ones that are a part of a world, some of the buildings we go into are pretty cool looking and some would probably buy those particular buildings as a house, I know I would. I also think that bringing back the white tiger would be a great advantage sales wise, because I know I would buy many of them for each of my characters, and it could be a charity thing again like you have done in the past, or it could be a revenue thing for you. I also think if you get rid of certain bundles and retire them, I think you should always bring them back at least once a year for people that are new to the game to be able to purchase them, that is more revenue for you as well and a great promotion incentive. These are just a few ideas that have come into mind while I have been playing the game. I hope that some of these ideas can be put into play.

• Christopher Sebring / Mar 13 2014 12:05 pm

I do like these ideas, not too much and original. Great stuff!

• Steven / Mar 13 2014 2:50 pm

I agree man, this are such great ideas, its like if you read my mind, or went talking to every single wizard there is and asking what they would like XD

• Anonymous / Mar 13 2014 3:24 pm

Some of the best idea’s I have seen, love the house from the world’s the most!
      I have been playing for four years now and pirate101 before the game was open to the public.
      I have every house+mount and pet in wizard working on pirate lol.I love new things can’t help my self got to have it . But the one thing I don’t have is the dragon mount that they give out to the long time play’s .I think they shoulds make a dragon mount that can be died now that would be fun!

• Ashley ThunderFlower / Mar 13 2014 3:26 pm

I am so sick of logging on and seeing the same membership sale\crowns sale. Try to mix it up and have sales on gear/pet. Ps. I CANNOT wait for the word!!!!!!! Although I just started Avalon(level 73 storm wiz) (: (: (:

• Anonymous / Mar 13 2014 4:27 pm

i agree with this

• Anonymous_2 / Mar 13 2014 6:22 pm

If there is one thing we can mostly agree on, it is this. This is the kind of wizard we need on Kingsile. besides, i wouldn’t mind them spicing things up a bit. The things that are possible asking people is endless (just as long as people don’t go making crazy ideas)

• Anonymous / Mar 14 2014 5:03 pm

yeah i agree it would be great

15. Christopher Sebring / Mar 13 2014 12:02 pm

I like the idea of promoting pets and mounts into packs. An idea I’ve had for awhile for promoting these more so would be to have a new separate pack (or incorporating one into an old pack) and creating a pet that can be converted into a mount when reached a certain level. More people would buy packs that way, since that’d be the only way to get these pet-mounts.

• Anonymous / Mar 13 2014 3:53 pm

To go along with that, the addition of hatching mounts would be great! 😀

• Anonymous_2 / Mar 13 2014 6:17 pm

but that would also mean you’d bring your mount into combat, It would be OK with me, far as both games, but that would also mean you would have to attach other things to the wing mounts. It would make the game more easy, but this might make some people go, “Why did they do this?” But I like the idea!

16. Anonymous / Mar 13 2014 12:07 pm

wizard 101 is crazy fun everyone has to try it

17. senura / Mar 13 2014 1:00 pm

I think Wizard101 has been taken to a top lvl…. I suggest that the players who play more should get surprises like gifts

18. Jessica / Mar 13 2014 1:19 pm

Hi my name is Jessica I love your game Wizard101 and I play it constantly. I am a level 22 myth wizard. So, I was thinking if you want to make a new game i thought that you could make it after mermaids. You could call it Mermaid101. So, anyway please Kingsisle read this if you can I would highly appreciate it.

19. Lynda Grey / Mar 13 2014 1:34 pm

>we look at what pets are most popular and least popular in sales volume and try to figure out why. Is it the price? Is it the look of the pet or its pedigree? Does this pet have a spell card or not?

You know… you guys could just ask the players why they aren’t buying certain things instead of trying to guess like that.

20. Ryan / Mar 13 2014 1:49 pm

i think you should make more options open for the day one people, considering I missed out on the frontier dragon and I was here buying crowns since the beginning 😦 and you should be able to stitch pets, customize colors for mounts and everything else you purchase in the crown shop.

21. Anonymous / Mar 13 2014 1:55 pm

i love wizard 101 ive had this game for a long time look me up coyle unicornhead

22. Anonymous / Mar 13 2014 2:22 pm

wow people im not too sure though

23. Anonymous / Mar 13 2014 2:31 pm

You guys are great keep it up

24. hunter starrider / Mar 13 2014 2:33 pm

you guys are great keep up the good work.

25. Anonymous / Mar 13 2014 2:48 pm

good idea i like all the sales that go on like the 60,000 crows deal and the membership deals

26. lindsey ghost flame / Mar 13 2014 3:18 pm

I LOVE WIZARD 101 it is so great i get to play with my best friends and i get to do quests that’s to things i love to do in wizard 101 there are wayyyyyy more from. lindsey ghostflame

27. lindsey ghost flame / Mar 13 2014 3:21 pm

oh and also wizard one 0 one is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cool that i just want i don’t even know well thx

28. Blake Strongsword/Steven Strongstaff / Mar 13 2014 3:28 pm

I used to play pirate101 and wizard101 but I only now play wizard101. Because wizard101 is a good game though. I was a member on both. I quit p101 because membership ended earlier and wizard101 might be better. Cause I am member I am level 38 life and i am on dragonspyre.

29. Anonymous / Mar 13 2014 3:33 pm

cool

30. capjedi / Mar 13 2014 3:38 pm

I think it’s very unfair, to have a promotion without warning of at least two weeks advance notice. I don’t have time to buy crowns, and some of us can’t play every day. You should make all promotions last at least a week, so that all players (like the ones with jobs) can make it there!
    😦

31. Maria DreamHeart / Mar 13 2014 3:38 pm

Having more options on color choice in dye shop would be awesome as well being able to dye your pet to be able to match your colors. I myself constantly buying crowns to the max would be a great idea for those players that spend they hard earn money to better themselves with crown purchases to receive discounts codes via email that is more revenue for you as well since i am always buying crowns and i am sure you will get more to buy if they could afford it with those discounts and a great promotion incentive, I am a huge crafter fan would aslo love to be able to craft some of the housing items i have seen in my wizard101 journey like more furniture options and scenery for the outside of your house. would also be awesome if we can change our names after your wiz has been created i know for one thing i am so tired of my sur name DreamHeart would love to change that as well as some looks my wiz has like her eyes, More bank space would be great i am a huge hoarder lol best thing i have discover were the mannequins help me make space in my bank putting my old outfits on them.
    Thank you Wizard101 i have had many fun playing this game and look forward to many more fun play,

Maria DreamHeart 95 Myth

• Anonymous / Mar 13 2014 4:35 pm

Yeah, whenver I buy a cute hat or something it has like 4 colors I can choose that I don’t really like so I have to run back and fourth the bazaar and dye shop x.x

• blaze shadow / Mar 13 2014 6:57 pm

I am also a crafter. I love crafting pet snacks. some of the snacks in the packs would be great if we can craft those

32. capjedi / Mar 13 2014 3:42 pm

plants info does not update until reacquired. -minor irritation
    there is no hot-key for open and close gardening bar -minor irritation
    gardening forces dismount -minor irritation, suggest changing camera angle while mounted, instead.
    reviving a plant shows no significant xp bonus at grandmaster level -moderate irritation.

misc suggestions:

Pets should have some effect on plants in garden.
    Brown spiders would be beneficial, while deer knight would eat plants.
    a satyr would randomly provide magic, or cast a pixie on a plant.n

mounts, too should have some effect on the garden,
    say, watering plants, or eating weeds.

it may seem tedious, but a good gardener takes much pride in thier garden,
    and might seek out a specific pet to purchase for his plants.

my idea of casting while mounted could be accomplished with a side angle.
    it would add realism to the game, as,
    animals have been heavily used in agriculture for thousands of years.

i love gardening in the game, but i am disappointed in the total lack of realism.

animations could be improved upon dramatically, with imps, leprechauns, gnomes, and unicorns doing the work.
    i would really like to see my unicorn dragging a plow, and my imps singing songs, and my gnomes fighting ghoulish imps!
    the leprechaun could be bestowed the honor of granting treasure!

i usually put off gardening until i become emotionally distraught, then retire to my garden.
    it would help, if i had more friends, my pets, for instance, helping with the work,
    showing me that they love me, and that they care.

you are not some fly-by-night game publisher(i hope!), you are kingsisle. you can do it!

personally, i love my pets more than i love my garden.
    my plants never ‘say, thank you(until they are ready to be harvested, of course)!’
    they should bow, at least, to their master/caretaker, when being treated for pests.
    wouldn’t you?

perhaps a new world could be created for gardeners, with new spells, that use plants to attack with?

33. Alex WillowGarden / Mar 13 2014 4:02 pm

I like the game throughout the updates! I think you guys worked hard, harder than i thought!
    Well, keep updating it, we’ll see what the future brings!

34. Anonymous / Mar 13 2014 4:30 pm

In my opinion, the best promotion is when wizard101 gives free pets like the brave hound.

• Anonymous / Mar 13 2014 6:58 pm

I agree

• Mary SpiritStone / Mar 13 2014 9:27 pm

I agree with you anonymous

35. Valdus DrakeHunter / Mar 13 2014 5:01 pm

I really like Hoard/Lore pack sales. I rarely if ever purchase card packs if they are on sale. I absolutely love the items from them, but the the rare events of Hoard/Lore pack sales are not enough for me to continue purchasing Crowns (as I have everything I want/need except those from packs)

36. ryan / Mar 13 2014 5:09 pm

i love wizard

37. Saffron Winter / Mar 13 2014 5:19 pm

Oh gosh the Storm Mastery Amulet sale was awesome because my Life character (Saffron Winter) is half Storm, so that was pretty helpful. I also liked the brave hound one. Now my character won’t have to heal herself every two seconds.

38. Taylor DeathHaven / Mar 13 2014 5:42 pm

thanks for the crowns 3 mounths ago
    and also i really like wizard101

39. Anonymous / Mar 13 2014 5:51 pm

sounds cool that would make it better alright

40. spoog10 / Mar 13 2014 6:01 pm

if only there could have be a day that crowns for 5$ could be for 2.5

41. Taylor DeathHaven / Mar 13 2014 6:03 pm

it would be awesome if you lowered the gold price for the gaurdians outfit becuase i have been trying to get it for two months so that would help me out a lot if you did that for me thanks.

42. Anonymous / Mar 13 2014 6:11 pm

more crafting…more houses maybe a few mounts …

43. Anonymous_2 / Mar 13 2014 6:12 pm

I’d like that we get a chance to get a free bundle every month! Not only that, but I’d start playing the games more often if in both games you can make your own house with priced pieces. of course, this probably would be only available to members. finally, I’d like to make the games easier, and allow the people to have a longer free to play ( like Non-Members able to go until they have reached Krokotopia wizard101) (be able to go through all of the Captain gun quest Pirate 101)

44. Anonymous / Mar 13 2014 6:13 pm

o

45. tommy / Mar 13 2014 6:51 pm

I was thinking about another way to battle you could use pets to attack others. It would also be cool if you could share a house with someone.I think it would be cool to train mounts and name them.Please read this comment.

46. tommy / Mar 13 2014 6:54 pm

I was thinking that You should give everyone a one day membership. this would get people to buy memberships once they like the one day membership.

47. tommy / Mar 13 2014 6:55 pm

I love wizard 101:)

48. Anonymous / Mar 13 2014 6:56 pm

I was wondering how hard would it be to let your other wizards use your extra homes you aren’t using? I have two 90 plus wizards with three homes each and a mid 30 level wizard with none. You have bought them with gold or crowns and then you can’t use them after you get a better one because you leave it empty and it just sets there.
    . So you should be able to let your other wizards use it.

49. Nicole LifeCaster / Mar 13 2014 7:10 pm

That was fun considering my mom wouldnt let me >_>

50. Anonymous / Mar 13 2014 7:16 pm

I like wizard 1o1. I am only a kid.