February 5, 2015 / KingsIsle Community

Behind the Scenes: KI Live

Back in the middle of 2014, the Community Team at KingsIsle had an idea for a new way to interact with (and hopefully entertain) our game communities. Livestreaming video games became a huge trend in the last few years with the growing popularity of Twitch. In 2013, Twitch had upwards of 45 million viewers each month! Many players already use Twitch to stream their gameplay of Wizard101 and Pirate101, so we thought, why not join in on the fun? KI Live was created!

What is KI Live? It is a monthly livestream from KingsIsle Community Managers Tom and Leala (with help from Social Media Coordinator, Julia, appropriately dubbed #JuliaFromKI on Twitter). Each month we focus on the latest news in KingsIsle games, show off gameplay, answer questions from the community and give away lots of great prizes. Players can watch live on our website and join in the conversation on Twitter by using the hashtag #askki. If you ever miss a live episode, you can always catch up by watching the recorded version on our YouTube page.

Header

What goes into creating a KI Live episode? Glad you asked. Lots! Since KI Live is a new endeavor for us, we are learning as we go. This goes for the technical aspects as well as learning what topics most interest our viewers.

NotesScheduling and Planning: The first thing the community team does is get together for a meeting to discuss when our next episode should take place, what news we should highlight and what we’d like to show off in game. Sometimes an episode will be more focused on Wizard101 or it could be more focused on Pirate101. We try to mix it up and show off lots of aspects of each game!

Show Notes: Once we’ve got a rough idea of what we’ll discuss in the episode, we write down notes to help us remember everything and use them as an outline to guide us during the live show. Since KI Live is live, even with the best planning, the unexpected can happen! It’s exciting and definitely keeps us on our toes.

Announcement: Several days before the event, we make an announcement to all of our players across social media by creating events on Google+ and Facebook. This way everyone knows when the next KI Live will be and can join us!

studio

Setup: When the big day rolls around we convert one of the conference rooms in the KingsIsle office into our own little recording studio. We move in our computers, lighting, microphone, props and decorations for the background. We use lots of posters featuring art from the games, as well as life-sized standees of some of the characters from Pirate101. Since each show has a theme, we often bring in fun hats or costume pieces to wear on the show. Fun Fact: Tom hates wearing hats but Leala makes him, because it’s funny!

KI Live

Showtime: On the day of the event we announce again across social media and start taking questions from the #askki hashtag on Twitter. We also may call for submissions of in-game screenshots that go along with our theme so that we can share them on the show . We love showing off our player’s creativity! When the big moment comes, we flip all the switches and go live on Twitch. During the episode Leala and Tom will be on camera and in game playing Wizard101 or Pirate101 (or both!) Julia helps out behind the camera to coordinate all of the questions that we answer on air and award prizes to lucky viewers.

And that’s a glimpse into what goes into bringing you KI Live each month! Have you ever watched KI Live? Let us know in the comments what you think of the show and what you would like us to talk about in upcoming episodes. Thanks for reading (and watching!)

Join us for the next KI Live on Friday, February 13th at 4PM Central!

1. Chrissy The Blesser / Feb 5 2015 2:25 pm

I LOVE KI Live and have watched and thoroughly enjoyed every one. They are SO fun and I delight in getting to know Tom & Leala beyond from emails, tweets and message board moderating. They are very funny and make me feel like I am sitting right across the table from them as they fulfill the “Goofing Off” clause in their contracts. 😛 I look forward to each one and smile through the whole thing. Whoever got this started truly deserves a raise. 😀

2. kareem / Feb 5 2015 2:39 pm

i love kingisle I love all games 😀

• Anonymous / Feb 5 2015 3:47 pm

this game is awesome but I wish you could have get a free mount

• elizabeth hawkshield / Feb 5 2015 6:27 pm

me to

3. Chloe / Feb 5 2015 2:47 pm

I just LOVE W101 and P101! :P:):D

• judah / Feb 5 2015 3:17 pm

loveW101 but got kick out of P101 ,I do not no why – Jordan soulhunter level 42

4. Anonymous / Feb 5 2015 2:55 pm

Can’t wait for mirage

5. Morgrim Thunder / Feb 5 2015 3:00 pm

I love KI Live! The two hosts are super funny and are good team players, they always have something positive to say! I lovd last months episode when Dworgyn (Tom) had everyone go in circles around the telegraph box! I hope they do stuff like that often, maybe they could have people do dance mobs or play hide and seek at a house tour! I always look forward to KI Live and even if I have a bad day their podcast cheers me up! I love how they show off fanart and show their appriciation! They are always a real treat every month go watch, and I would recomend it to any wizard or pirate!

6. Talon LegendStaff / Feb 5 2015 3:11 pm

KI live is an amazing show for everyone of all ages. I do have have few ideas that is, One could be a sneak peak into things to yet to come and many others. KingsIsle is wonderful game company, and in which I hope to work for into the future. KingsIsle IS my FVAORITE game company and will always be there,

– Matt Chapman
    “Talon LegendStaff”
    Exalted Myth

• Talon LegendStaff / Feb 5 2015 3:12 pm

After I sent this, I realized that Favorite is spelled wrong. Please excuse that.

7. Anonymous / Feb 5 2015 3:14 pm

I love wizard101 the most! Thanks Kingsisle!

8. Caitlin FairyDust / Feb 5 2015 3:27 pm

Wizard101 is amazing!! so much fun! 🙂

9. Anonymous / Feb 5 2015 3:38 pm

wizard101 is the best!! so much fun

10. Grace Silverdust / Feb 5 2015 4:25 pm

I LOVE KI live and look forward to it each month. I’ve learned a lot about the game by watching and I love the chemistry between Tom and Leala! You guys are the best! Please keep the lives coming! I appreciate any game tips you can give us. For instance, I really knew nothing about how to use the castle blocks, but watching Leala work them in game inspired me to give them a try. Any other playing tips you can give us would be great! Also, tips for surviving the dreaded PVP arena! I know those live shows must be a ton of work to prepare, so thanks again for all you do for us!

11. Anonymous / Feb 5 2015 4:39 pm

wizard 101 is awesome but can you can give us a free bundle of any kind of bundle to be free on wizard101

12. Noah / Feb 5 2015 4:48 pm

when will the next world come out to wizard101

• Anonymous / Feb 5 2015 7:37 pm

hope it be a low lvl world for everyone

13. Tireless Evan Evans / Feb 5 2015 4:59 pm

I hope there is a cool pirate101 teaser on the next ki live. They are great by the way, but some parts can get a little dull at times, but there is always something cool each one!

14. Jacob Ravenshade / Feb 5 2015 5:12 pm

I love Kingsisle it is one of the greatest companies I have EVER run into I’m really into your gaming I love the KI live, the blog posts, and, of course, the games themselves- w101 and p101!!!I would love to work for your company one day and I would DEFINITELY recommend this game to any of my fellow gamers. LOVE YOU KINGISLE!!!

-Jacob Ravenshade
    Life Wizard & Swashbuckler

15. Dustin Flame / Feb 5 2015 5:13 pm

I never got to watch not 1 episode yet, because of the time i am in school when it happens, but other then that. It seems to be pretty amazing and entertaining. Thx for this

• Anonymous / Feb 5 2015 9:16 pm

exactly we do not get to see these videos

• sean battlegrove / Feb 5 2015 9:18 pm

yep cause we never get to see these episodes of it cause we at school

16. jade / Feb 5 2015 6:11 pm

i love this game

17. Anonymous / Feb 5 2015 6:46 pm

i love wizards 101.

18. Anonymous / Feb 5 2015 6:47 pm

i love this game I have been playing for 3 years and I got all my wizards max this game is just awesome

19. Scarlet Rainbowstone / Feb 5 2015 7:06 pm

Well i got both and i love em’ so that’s that. And i just love this game it happens to be my number one app! 😀 Wizard101

20. anonoymous / Feb 5 2015 7:09 pm

I love kingsisle live.

21. Jill / Feb 5 2015 9:11 pm

love love love wizard101. The only thing that is pushing me away is all the kids begging for gifts. I wish that was removed

22. sean battlegrove / Feb 5 2015 9:20 pm

I am level 38 life wizard on wizard101 and I thank the people who created wizard101 and pirate101

23. seana / Feb 6 2015 12:01 am

will you make the highest lvl 2 hundred cause when I get lvl hundred wheat can I do right now I am lvl eighth ty one and thanks for making this super fun game you guys know it all

24. seana / Feb 6 2015 12:02 am

what sorry not wheat

25. PrincessLove / Feb 6 2015 12:24 am

its a awesome family game and a way to spend some time with the people you don’t get to see as much in real

26. laura lifesong / Feb 6 2015 3:51 am

i love this game 😀 but it fun and hanging out with friends thanx you guys 😀

27. steven waterhunter / Feb 6 2015 5:20 am

wizard101 is not like any magic game i played it has something different when i play wizard101 i feel very happy and i am not even a member but i just love this game it is really really fun and i want to tell something to the animators of this game excellent work guys keep the good work forever

28. Anonymous / Feb 6 2015 8:31 am

I am a really good job.

29. Anonymous / Feb 6 2015 9:55 am

w101 is awesome

30. Paige Moonshade (@PaigeMoonShade) / Feb 6 2015 10:24 am

Thank you to the community managers who take the time to participate in this for us players. Waves Hello to Julie.

31. Strayer / Feb 9 2015 12:44 am

Never actually saw Kingsisle live before, but been watching the reruns for those announcements to know what is coming to the Spiral. If y’all can talk about the development of the worlds y’all been working on or the type of hints of the worlds coming would be very nice, because we have been waiting a long time for the new worlds. I bet there is a explanation for the delay, but it wouldn’t hurt to give us the info. about it.

32. jordan tuckson / Feb 9 2015 11:37 am

Hey been with wizard 101 since 2008. Always love the games, fight, story line and drama. I only like to wish this. I wished that all characters can really actually sit down on any chair, couch or even lay down on a bed. If you can’t beds then then that’s ok. And that’s what i wish for wizard101 next up data. 🙂

• Mary AshTalon / Feb 10 2015 7:08 pm

I second this!!!!

• watanake / Feb 10 2015 7:11 pm

I second this!!!

33. Anonymous / Feb 9 2015 4:17 pm

I love Wizerd 101 but can you add some free mount they are very hard to get plz plz plz a perment one everyone and plz let everyone got to differert places in the world thanks

• Pirate101 FAN :) / Jan 21 2016 6:28 pm

they have to make money

34. Anonymous / Feb 11 2015 7:47 pm

I just love kings isle games and I have a few ideas in mind for the future. First, I think we should be able to turn on and off all the lights in our houses This goes along with opening and closing doors in our house, there should also be a lock feature for keeping people out of rooms. Second, there should be a housing game involving pvp duels {this applies to p101 and w101}. It should be some kinda mix between tag and pvp but there should be different modes so that the game can be fair as applied. Fist mode is a mode were all player levels are set to the same lvl {people under the set lvl get extra health once the game starts, people over the set lvl get send back to the set lvl and wear the gear they had on at that time they leveled up to the set lvl, and all school spells that are trained need to be set lvl appropriate if needed spells can be removed|. There can be many more modes but that all I can think of right now. Hope you can make my idea into something.

-Katie Storystaff
    exalted ice

35. Robin Winters / Feb 16 2015 5:39 am

i love this game my kids love it to we play it all the time it is safe for little one and older one to we are all kids at heart

36. kane mythcaster / Feb 16 2015 9:10 am

I love wizard I have bin playing for 9 years I love this game this is what I play all day

37. EthanLionBreeze / Feb 17 2015 10:56 am

I have a suggestion about new pets for storm and ice.They are a tempest wave for storm and a frost giant for ice.

38. EthanLionBreeze / Feb 17 2015 11:04 am

and one for fire a mini fireman pet.

39. Anonymous / Feb 24 2015 7:59 pm

my wiz do not want me to add anyone it says my list is to big but i have a lot of room how do i fix it.and it have noting to do with the settings on the game it self soo idk what to add some plz help me out i would really like that or some help…