10 Questions Every Parent Should Ask Before Their Child Plays Wizard101
Before your child sets off on a magical adventure into the world of Wizard101, there are a few questions every parent should ask in order to ensure a safe and positive online gaming experience for their child.
- How can I be sure that my child isn’t chatting with strangers? One of our chat systems for younger players is a “Menu Chat” system that enables users to communicate with each other with the use of safe, preselected words and phrases in order to ensure that all exchanges are both safe and family-friendly. This option will be turned on by default if your account was identified as being under the age of 13.
- What steps can be taken to ensure that my child doesn’t charge money to my credit card? We have included a “Parental Controls” section on our website that enables you to restrict your child’s access to your credit card information. Simply choose a password that is only known to you, and your child will be prevented from making any online purchases without your permission.
- Are the Wizard101 message boards safe? You can rest easy knowing that we take your child’s online safety seriously. We have created message boards that are continuously monitored by our special team of moderators. Any inappropriate messages are either edited or deleted before they are ever posted.
- How can I be certain that my child’s online player name is appropriate? We provide all players with a pre-selected list of player names to choose from that are designed to reflect the personality of the user without being inappropriate or divulging private information.
- How is a Parent Account useful? Setting up a Parent Account will enable you to turn a variety of features and functions off or on, depending on the level of safety that is appropriate for your child.
- What is the Parent/Child Digital Consciousness Contract and how can it help keep my child safe? The Parental/Child Digital Consciousness Contract is an online tool that is designed to assist you in speaking to your child in order to establish awareness and enforce safe use of digital devices.
- What is cyberbullying and how can I be certain that my child is not becoming a victim when playing this free Wizard game? Cyberbullying refers to online bullying that occurs when messages or images are sent in order to embarrass or hurt the victim. For those under 13, it will be almost impossible to be bullied in game thanks to Menu Chat in Wizard101. Since all chat messages are pre-selected, you can rest assured that your child is protected from cyberbullying during his or her Wizard game experience. If your child has a more open form of chat, we have a special “Ignore” feature in game that can be used to silence bullies. Ultimately the best way (and the most fun way) to ensure your older child’s safety from cyberbullying in Wizard101 is to play the game with them and act as a guide that can intervene when needed.
- How can I be sure that my child is only being exposed to age-appropriate content? Wizard101 holds an Entertainment Software Rating Board rating of E10+, meaning it is deemed to be suitable for children and adults ages 10 and up. Additionally, we welcome you to try the game out for yourself so that you feel comfortable making a decision about whether or not it is appropriate for your child.
- What should I do if I suspect inappropriate interaction or behaviors while my child is playing this online Wizard game? Any suspicious activity should be reported to our Customer Support team immediately so the issue can be evaluated as quickly as possible. Please review our FAQ for more information on what is considered a reportable offense: https://www.wizard101.com/game/help-faq
- How can I learn more about keeping my child safe online? Below is a list of resources that are designed to provide you with more information and helpful tips in order to maximize the safety of your child’s online gaming experience.