August 13, 2013 / KingsIsle Entertainment

Chat: Use it, don’t abuse it!

Chat is an important part of any online MMO, and today Mr. Lincoln from Wizard101 Customer Support has some helpful tips to keep you and your character safe and out of trouble!

Chat is a feature of online games that many players find extremely rewarding. It can assist you in making new friends and form groups to quest for adventure in online worlds. Chat in KingsIsle games, however, is a privilege and should always be used with judgment and caution. Choosing your words carefully is very important when online!

It can be difficult to understand someone’s tone of voice when they are online, which can lead to communication problems. Choosing to be sensitive to those around you is a great way to approach chatting with others in any game.

When playing online games, you will run into all kinds of people. Some you will like to chat with, and some you just won’t. Remember, in our games you always have the “Ignore” option to ignore someone or you can escape them by switching to a new realm in a flash! Rather than getting into an argument or picking a fight, it’s really quite easy just to move on and talk to other people you enjoy.

We also appreciate you reporting any inappropriate chat using the in-game reporting tool. It really works and it helps us quickly identify and investigate chat to see if it fits into our guidelines and rules.

pirate-player1

Another very important tip is to NEVER, EVER give your password to ANYONE for ANY reason. A KingsIsle employee will NEVER ask you for your password and you certainly shouldn’t be sharing it with anyone else. If or when your account gets hacked due to you sharing your password, the account can be permanently muted or banned depending on the hacker’s actions! That kind of risk just isn’t worth it. So if anyone ever asks for your password, just say NO.

In Wizard101 and Pirate101 there are 3 different types of chat:

• Text Chat
  • Filtered Chat
  • Open Chat

Text Chat is preselected for you when you start playing our games, and only allows you to chat with KingsIsle approved sayings.  Open Chat in contrast lets you say a great deal. For Filtered Chat and Open Chat, there are certain words that have been removed from the game because of their inappropriate or potentially inappropriate nature. Trying to “get around the filter” is against the Terms of Use. Our Player Forums and in-game chat rules are one and the same.

A good rule to follow is “Just because you can say it, doesn’t mean you should”. Again, chat is a privilege in our games, not a right. It can be taken away if you choose to expose other players to vulgarity, inappropriate language or harassment. When you play online we’re all about having fun, but never at the expense of others.

Being kind to other players can pay off by meeting some really nice online friends. If you are lucky enough to play with family members or real life friends, definitely consider using True Friend codes. You can give these to the people who are really special, but always use your best judgment. If ever you should need assistance with your chat features (or any other issue) you can write to Customer Support at help@KingsIsle.com.

Following the rules makes for a happy gaming experience for you, and for all the other players around you!

Mr. Lincoln
KingsIsle Customer Support

1. sarah winterbloom / Aug 13 2013 4:41 pm

first time mutes and good records should be taking into account if your muted along time like ten years for a bad words if was a one time afence maybe a fine and probation period with proof of no more rule breaking would at to the most get filter chat only as a means of talking ,.and you know there is a bad thing going on with the mutes as you know they understand all said to them by others so bullies use that knowing they cant report them. give them a report switch please.

2. tom / Aug 13 2013 4:50 pm

what about giving wiz who Are muted a second chance like you said chat can make wizard101 more fun

• Tobi / Aug 13 2013 6:37 pm

Yea, because my friend got muted for giving out “personal info” and so he got muted for ten years. Kingisle should mute people who do that for 3 years tops, and if they do it again, they can mute them forever.

• Anonymous / Aug 13 2013 8:35 pm

Well you don’t always get a second chance for everything, and as they said it’s a privilege to use chat and you should respect their rules if you want to use it.

• Dj / Aug 14 2013 10:47 am

i think so too people aren’t perfect

• Scarlet RavenRider / Aug 14 2013 10:51 am

well, tom you’re right, i think if you make the muted ten years then that wont make people want to play until they are like 20 or 30 years old just to chat make it like to years

3. Lori Kamahoahoa / Aug 13 2013 4:52 pm

I get protective and offended for the younger players that are trying to play a clean and fun game. There is no need to offensive and vulgar language. I think there are tween players trying to look cool or mature, but they don’t realize how immature they really look. I hope they don’t kiss their grandparents with that mouth. From a proud grandparent player and loving it. FYI – I’ll report you too. And have a nice day 🙂

• Sherry Jenkins / Aug 13 2013 6:24 pm

Me too Lori. I am a proud grandparent and love this game for all the kids. And just like this lady, I’ll report you if I see you trying to get around the filtering. It’s a game – if you are angry and can’t control yourself, log out!!

• Destiny Stormweaver / Aug 14 2013 5:38 am

Here here. I am a mom player with a young son who also plays. We do not use offensive or abussive language at home nor should he be subjected to it on a childs game. KI does a great job of keeping it safe and fairly clean but there is always a few who spoil it. If you wish to use inappropriate language and themes please choose another game. KI may need to pay more attention to screening out some of the words and phrases being used to portray offensive words.

4. Musketeer Danielle / Aug 13 2013 4:59 pm

Thx for the tip! I’m going to tell all my friends that use bad languege about it so they stop! KingsIsle rules!

5. Ryan Brenneise / Aug 13 2013 5:00 pm

I fully support the chat system in place, except that I’d like to see more additions added to the filter. Although, I would also like it if the Noob Chat interface got a few more options to choose from. As is, it is very difficult to communicate with noobs.

6. Anonymous / Aug 13 2013 5:01 pm

please reset our “report” stats KI

7. Samantha / Aug 13 2013 5:01 pm

I don’t think “noob” should be taken away. There are some people that say it is an insult, but I think it is just to describe someone. Noob isn’t a bad word. It just means newbie. So I think that it is ok to use. Yet there are other words people find loop holes around (I can’t say them) and I would report them, but I am afraid that people would make fun of me.

• christina mythstone / Aug 13 2013 6:25 pm

I was afraid too, but not because of that, I was afraid that they would think I was lying and mute me instead, but I did get over it, don’t be afraid. If they do make fun of you, just delete them and go away to a different realm.

• Anonymous / Aug 13 2013 8:51 pm

I’m pretty sure they won’t be able to tell who reported them.. All it says is “you have been reported!” and yeah, So there’s no need to be afraid.

8. Nina / Aug 13 2013 5:02 pm

How do you get open chat or text chat? I mean, I can’t figure out how! I am a level 25 Buccaneer Pirate, and I think that I need text chat or open chat

• Anonymous / Aug 13 2013 7:20 pm

You need to have your age set on your account

• Anonymous / Aug 13 2013 7:48 pm

You need to be 13 to have text chat, to have open chat you have to be 18 or older and purchase something with a credit card.

• Julie/Sarai ShadowHeart / Aug 13 2013 8:04 pm

Nina, it is game policy that players under 13 need their permission, upon creating an account, if you put an age below 13, you cannot use Text or Open Chat. ❤ -Sarai ShadowHeart

• Deirdre / Aug 13 2013 9:29 pm

this setting is on your online login at kingisle.com you would have to login and also login to your masterpassword in order to change your chat settings. But I believe there is age limits I think that if you are under the age of 13 you are not allowed chat or open chat you will have to use the menu chat. Hopefully this was helpful. You can also look it up in the questions on there to assist you.

Deirdre Dragonheart

• w101 is awesome / Aug 15 2013 11:11 am

I think you have to go to options k and turn it on

9. Darius Lewis / Aug 13 2013 5:02 pm

sometimes people spend money on this game, get banned, some people get banned for no reason etc, i think there should be undercover wizards, especially in shopping district realm Wu

• Fallon / Aug 13 2013 6:23 pm

I agree with Darius, they should have some undercover wizards. I would love to see people who break the rules get muted or even banned! I see allot of wizards making fun of other wizards, even for what level they are or pet they have and even what eyes they picked out! They like what they have and even if they didn’t they could make/ get something new.

• gaiger_raiger / Aug 13 2013 10:43 pm

that’s a very good idea

• nicholas nightwhisper / Aug 14 2013 12:10 am

Hi! I know how you feel I got muted for no reason once. 😡

10. Musketeer Danielle / Aug 13 2013 5:02 pm

If you want help I can help you with anything

11. Anonymous / Aug 13 2013 5:04 pm

there is an ignore button smart one also just leave if he’s bothering you

12. sandra / Aug 13 2013 5:05 pm

i am loving this game

13. Isaac / Aug 13 2013 5:11 pm

I hope your mom gets better!

• Anonymous / Aug 13 2013 7:13 pm

me too

• Michael frost smith / Aug 14 2013 2:08 am

lol XD wt lvl are you?

• Anonymous / Aug 14 2013 9:44 am

Agreed

14. robertshadowcloud / Aug 13 2013 5:17 pm

what i dont like is people report me for no reason now i am mute 😦

• Anonymous / Aug 13 2013 8:48 pm

I had someone report me just because I refused a friend request. The other night, I was reported for doing absolutely nothing. I was just passing through an area and a ‘you have been reported’ window came up.

One thing people need to do is realize that we have the choice if we want to friend someone or not. We have the ability to turn off friend requests, and one SHOULD NOT MAKE A FRIEND REQUST JUST TO BEG FOR GIFTS! There was one character I accepted as a friend, and he was promising that if I gifted him then, when he got money, he would gift me later. He would not listen to me that I would not, I did not have the crowns. I finally had to remove him as a friend and change realms to get rid of him.

Please do not abuse friend requests or reporting people.

• Grace Willowbreeze / Aug 13 2013 9:00 pm

What is a mute? sorry confused

• Wizard101Lover566 / Aug 13 2013 9:38 pm

You should send that complaint to the bug reports then probably they will improve it so it looks through the chat to see if you really were saying bad things. 🙂

• Sarai Emeraldheart / Aug 13 2013 10:56 pm

I know! I really don’t like it when people report for no good reason at all. I was talking to my friend in the Commons and I said: “I really want your pet!” and then I was reported. And then the people that really are being mean never get reported at all. 😦

Sarai Emeraldheart – Level 58 Fire Wizard

• jordan / Aug 13 2013 11:32 pm

lol they do tha same to me

• sandra / Aug 14 2013 10:21 am

awe thats mean….

• rachel / Aug 14 2013 10:25 am

that’s because people are crazy! They don’t know what their getting into its best to contact kingsisle about this am done if kingsisle wants to make a game good he has to fix the problem or everybody will be muted! pirate101 is better I don’t know why kingsisle never fix the problem he never did its best to go to pirate101

15. kim / Aug 13 2013 5:33 pm

go wizards

16. serina / Aug 13 2013 5:42 pm

man you got to love these two games. I can do things my way.

17. Anonymous / Aug 13 2013 5:46 pm

oh that must be sad 😦

18. Irving / Aug 13 2013 5:48 pm

Thanks for your announcement for yelling us what to DO. Thanks Mr. Lincoln.

19. Anonymous / Aug 13 2013 5:49 pm

it is good to know that they are doing something about it i mean i reported so many people i lost count !

20. Joshua / Aug 13 2013 5:51 pm

and there’s no reason why younger children should be exposed to the kind of language that players say. Even if its disguised you can still tell what it means

21. Anonymous / Aug 13 2013 6:08 pm

everything was good before and everything is good now. what the different of change stuff if you don’t need too?

22. Anonymous / Aug 13 2013 6:13 pm

I completely understand that a lot of people don’t like others swearing, but one reason someone told me they don’t like it is because it’s a kids friendly game, and they don’t want their kids exposed to that kind of language. I can completely understand that, but people with open chat are 18+ years old. If you don’t want your kids to be able to see what they’re saying, all you have to do is create a master password for their account, and take away that privilege. If you don’t want to see that kind of language, all you have to do is ignore them. Plus, it’s just a bunch of words.

23. Iridian / Aug 13 2013 6:18 pm

i will say a prayer for you and your mom. 🙂

• Anonymous / Mar 4 2014 7:53 pm

Same here 😀

24. DEATHDRIFT / Aug 13 2013 6:27 pm

yes I think they should filter noob because they mean it as an insult and they should let everyone have text chat because i got friends who don’t have it and it is hard to talk to them wolf dragon aword lvl 16 ice

25. Anonymous / Aug 13 2013 6:40 pm

Sorry if someone already said this but I don’t have the time to go through all the comments. Refering users to the “Terms of Use” contract to find out what is appropriate and inappropriate language is fairly useless. Most people that are going to use inappropriate language wont read or understand most of it so a short page specific to behaviour that is acceptable would be helpful. Legaleeze is not very helpful for a game tageted at a grade school audience. If worried about the legal aspect just add the ussual disclaimer that the rules are not inclusive and are at KI’s discression.

26. kelrick / Aug 13 2013 6:40 pm

dude that was messed up for what your x friend did. I hope your mom feels better

27. Dave Landry / Aug 13 2013 6:42 pm

Hope your mom is having a good day today! It must be tuff to have to go though that! do you play wizards?

28. Anonymous / Aug 13 2013 6:46 pm

but gifting can be a great way to help other wizards if you want to

29. myles / Aug 13 2013 6:48 pm

hope your mom makes a full recovery man!

30. Anonymous / Aug 13 2013 7:01 pm

pirates and wizards rock

31. Anonymous / Aug 13 2013 7:01 pm

Noob, more often than so, is used as an insult, and can harm our younger wizards.

32. Anonymous / Aug 13 2013 7:12 pm

wow, that person has no feeling if she says something like that.
    hope your mom gets better

– kevin thunderhunter lvl 19 balance

33. Zachary Stormblood / Aug 13 2013 7:17 pm

Chat is awesome :]

34. Anonymous / Aug 13 2013 7:35 pm

I want to chat

35. Anonymous / Aug 13 2013 7:44 pm

Honestly I did get muted for no reason like other people only one report for not kicking a person out of my house

36. jessica / Aug 13 2013 7:46 pm

thxs for the chat tip that would be useful 😀 to all

37. demongirlrules / Aug 13 2013 7:53 pm

poor u .. I soooo hope your mother gets better soon 😦

38. ILoveWizard101 / Aug 13 2013 7:54 pm

I hope your mom feels better

39. ILoveWizard101 / Aug 13 2013 7:56 pm

I dont think they will let you say numbers is cause people might give out addresses and things

40. Anonymous / Aug 13 2013 7:57 pm

😀 I ❤ Pirate101! i dont want anyting to abuse my account in away and this tip helped my friends! 😀 ❤ Pirate101

41. Anonymous / Aug 13 2013 8:00 pm

I hope your mom will not die and she fights through it and I am sorry for your mom. Thank you for the advice Lincoln.

42. anonymous / Aug 13 2013 8:16 pm

This could do so much better if they stop marketing it towards kids/families and more to casual gamers.

43. Anonymous / Aug 13 2013 8:20 pm

I like don’t like how people don’t treat people the way they wanna be treated and thatjust leads to bullying

44. The Musketeer King Dead eye / Aug 13 2013 8:32 pm

To me it’s only who you talk to I talk to strangers a different way and friends I know in real life I talk to a different way, literally all my friends have open chat and we talk real talk if someone who we don’t know we just stop talking and talk nicely if you get caught well then that’s your fault for talking so openly to strangers.

45. Fallon / Aug 13 2013 8:56 pm

hahaha, i was dyeing my colors in the dye shop in wu and someone got muted by a hall monitor! bahahaha thank you for making my day

46. Anonymous / Aug 13 2013 9:01 pm

Well… I depends on what you were saying no to and what the conversation is about also.

47. RRR / Aug 13 2013 9:29 pm

Finally, this is Publicly addressed…. But!, what is going to be done about the people that can follow you from Realm to Realm, have their Report button blocked, and can still Harass you even after you Ignored them?

48. Deirdre / Aug 13 2013 9:33 pm

I would like to say one thing about the menu chat. It is sometimes very difficult to assist someone with menu chat. sometimes I get very frustrated because I want to tell them where something is and cant because unless I have the quest I can show them. like they come asking for stone block well I would like to say best place is in dragonsphere but cant.

thanks for taking into concideration.

Deirdre

49. Anonymous / Aug 13 2013 9:34 pm

PLEASE consider blocking phrases use such as “Gift me” or “Can anyone gift me a mount” ect. if not find a way that they can only request gifting once. It is really annoying going to wizard city and dealing with all the begging going on. I gift all the time to my friends and people that deserve to be gifted by BEING NICE. I just find this annoying and kinda rude, because crowns cost real $’s and obviously these begging wizards don’t see the value of it. I once visited a wizard that I friended and their home was full of crown items they told me they made a low geared wizard and just begged in wizard city most days that’s how they obtained the items, I quickly removed this person from my list and was appalled that they would do such a thing.

50. Anonymous / Aug 13 2013 9:35 pm

im feel so bad for u I hope she feels better some people from: aaron emrald sword lvl43 fire wizard